BookRabbit.com is supported by readers. When you buy with our links, we may earn a commission.Learn more

Health ACA Big Red Book

Staff

Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Dedicated community forum page for the book: Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACOA), popularly known as "ACA, The Big Red Book". Here you may ask questions, discuss book summary and post reviews of the book/audiobook/ebook/pdf. please leave your opinions. PS: This is a Staff post moved to top.

Logann

Logann

WANT TO HEAL?...
Read this book. I grew up in a broken home, a dysfunctional family in every sense of that phrase. This book has been my bible for the past 3 months that have been horrid. Don’t know how I would’ve gotten through it without this book. Changed my sense of self altogether and so thankful for that!

kaydin

kaydin

If anyone has read this book before, please give insight. A few of my fellow ACA friends have told me that it was very beneficial but I don’t want to spend money on a book I won’t like (it’s happened too many times in the past). Also is the kindle version okay? I personally prefer hardcopy books just so I can feel them physically, but I want to switch to kindle.

harvest

harvest

The ACA 12-step program really changed my life. And it will be beneficial to all adult children- trust me, you will be referring to it every step of the way! Until recovery! There’s no magic pill you can take to cure this. The ACA program, though considered tedious by many- has worked miracles in my life. The chapter for teens in this book really resonated with me. This book helped me realize that I could either continue paddling through life in a chaotic manner, or work ACA and get my life together again. Note that it demands discipline and commitment, so don’t expect miracles overnight. The good thing? You will attain serenity and clarity in your life way before you know it!

Staff edit: #user mentioned book attached with relevant aff link

Loveme

Loveme

If anyone has read this book before, please give insight. A few of my fellow ACA friends have told me that it was very beneficial but I don’t want to spend money on a book I won’t like (it’s happened too many times in the past). Also is the kindle version okay? I personally prefer hardcopy books just so I can feel them physically, but I want to switch to kindle.

I don’t know about y’all but the PDF version really irritated me. I miss the good old days when a book meant you had complete control over it. NOw it’s just on a computer and with 10,000 pages, you can’t even use the index properly...argh! Book was a good read, though.

D

DEMARCUS

I have gone to a bunch of ACA meetings especially over the last 2 years and let me tell you, none of that did half as much as reading this book did. It had an astonishing effect on me, I was reading through it and stopping in between, thinking it was written especially for me. The only reason I hadn’t picked it up in the past is because the title is a little misleading- was shocked to see that they’d covered dysfunctional families in a huge chunk, which cannot be guessed by anyone who picks up this book and reads the cover. Many of us have had difficult childhoods and recently I’ve been trying to dig into my past and understand the parts where my parents were wrong, and where I’d gone wrong. I think the chapter specific to teens in this book speaks an ample amount about how our lives have turned out… whether good or bad. Eye opening realizations started pouring in since I read this book and things got so much clearer.

PS. The kindle version is actually much better than the hardcopy book (just saying). It is very convenient because you can literally make notes, highlight parts you want to come back to, and even answer questions! Besides you pretty much carry your kindle everywhere so there’s the easy mobility. The book is cumbersome since it’s quite large.. But this is a subjective matter. If you’re considering the kindle though, I would totally recommend it!

G

Greek Goat

I just started ACA a month ago. Before that I would sporadically show up to ACA meetings when I felt lost, but never stuck to it. Can’t tell you how much my life has changed with just 1 month of being committed to this program. This book is the perfect aid in helping discover the patterns of dysfunctional behaviors in my family, and how I used them as excuses to get through life. Not healthy. I see that now! The 12 steps explicitly mentioned in this book will really help you see things clearly.

saira

saira

JUST what I need in my life right now, so apt, so accurate! I read this and understood so much about my childhood and how I am today because of my upbringing. Even though I don’t blame anyone in my past, I feel that knowing about it will help me move on. Also encouraging me to go to ACA meetings was a good idea. It’s always good to have other people going through the same thing support you.