Any Good Calorie Counter Books

Discussion in 'Non Fiction Self Help Book Readers Forum' started by Kenny, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Kenny

Kenny New Member

I have been wanting to lose 10 pounds for months now and have been working out every week but it just won’t happen. Talked to a nutritionist, and she said I had to get my diet in order. Was surfing on the internet for a bit, hoping to find a good book that might help me keep my calorie intake in check. Any suggestions?

2. Hubert

Hubert New Member

There are numerous books that help you “count your calorie intake” but be careful before buying them. Different authors have different lifestyles and recommend different kinds of foods.

There’s a good chance you do not match up to that lifestyle. However, if you are a typical American who enjoys hearty meals, I would recommend “The Biggest Loser: complete calorie counter”. I still make use of this book not only because of their brilliant recommendations, but they have interesting facts and tips sprinkled in here.

3. Angelo

Angelo New Member

I spent a good amount of time researching on what the best book for calorie counting was, and found that “CalorieKing” had the most positive reviews. So I ended up buying it, and it definitely lived up to the hype. It is an all-encompassing type of book, and I have to hand it to them, it is super thorough.

As a bachelorette (who cannot cook), I have to say, keeping count of your calories is a bit of a pain. I had let myself go a little and lost track of how much weight I’d gained, so I decided it was time I got back to working out, and watching my diet. But for someone who eats at restaurants a lot, it’s not always easy to watch what you’re eating (especially since you can’t tell what they are using while cooking).

This book came handy in this particular scenario: they have updated menus of the major restaurant chains in the country with the calorie count! So you can choose accordingly. To have a guide telling you the calorie intake of groceries, packaged goods, and basically, anything you wish to consume is convenient (to say the least).

4. Shaun

Shaun New Member

I had recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I thought it was the end of the world for me (because of all the dietary restrictions that follow). I am a bit of a foody, and having restrictions of any sort usually led to binging. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with a dietitian who recommended CalorieKing to me.

This book is invaluable, I have been using it for months now. I have three copies, one in my kitchen, one on my nightstand, and one on my at all times (in my purse). I know it sounds crazy to pull out a book before ordering your meal but it’s so much easier than pulling out your phone and googling the same thing. The best part? You don’t even have to fret: they have every food imaginable, and the top restaurant chains! If you need to keep a count of your carb intake, this book is the way to go.

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Probably one of the best calorie counting books is the biggest loser. It has made my life so much easier, I can now count calories, protein, sugar, carbs, and sodium content effortlessly.

But most of all, they provide a ballpark of calorie intake of different branded foods, fast food chains and such. Every time I step into one of those, or my hands reach for a bag of potato chips at the supermarket, this book helps me keep my cool. Honestly, I wasn’t sure a calorie counting book would even work, but this one did.

6. Matt

Matt New Member

I had just undergone Bariatric surgery a few weeks ago and wanted a good way to keep an eye on my diet, so I decided to buy the Pocket Calorie Counter. It is not only a good read but so easy to carry along with you (because it will fit in your pocket). It has a long list of foods and drinks with their respective calorie content, and it’s all etched into my head already.

So I think twice now before reaching out for a sugary drink now. Have to give some credit to Carolyn Humphries. Although I have to say that the font is really tiny, so if that’s something you wouldn’t like, maybe look for another book.

7. Lynn

Lynn New Member

Hi, I would like to provide a short review on the book CalorieKing: Calorie, Fat & Carbohydrate counter:

So my son was diagnosed with diabetes, and he was really bummed out about having to watch his calorie intake. His nutritionist recommended we flipped through CalorieKing for some guidance, and it did seem rather helpful. However, this was something funny I found out about it. They have many major restaurants and fast food chains mentioned, but McDonald's is not one of them.

How is that even possible? There’s a McDonalds in almost every country today. Lucky for me, my son doesn’t like McDonald's. He does like Arby’s however, and that is on the CalorieKing book, so phew!

8. Alfonso

Alfonso New Member

My wife is a dietitian and I have heard her recommend Calorie King Food book to many of her patients, and honestly, I found it effective too.

They really have covered sufficient ground and made it easy for us to go to restaurants and order food without worrying about how much calories we are going to consume. I would, however, like to point out that there’s a book called Calorie King Food & exercise journal, which is a really good read too. This not only includes all the necessary calorie counting tips but also has columns to jot down your carb/protein/fat intake.

And not to mention, there is an extensive exercising guide which is a lot of fun. Further, motivational one-liners about changing your eating habits, tips on working out and eating- it’s the whole package!