Books that will make you smarter

Discussion in 'Non Fiction Self Help Book Readers Forum' started by Danny, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Danny

Danny New Member

This post is probably going to sound pretty insane but can anyone suggest some books I can read so I can become smarter? I have recently started working and I’ve been finding it hard to keep up a conversation with colleagues, perhaps because they are smarter than I am. If anyone could suggest a book that I could maybe try, that would be appreciated.

2. Roberto

Roberto New Member

Hey, @Danny. It’s not insane to ask for books to tune your brain a little. In fact, I think it’s quite courageous. If you are looking for some sort of self-help book to help you with this, I would suggest the book “Awaken the Giant Within” by Tony Robbins.

It teaches you to take control of your own life and situations you may find yourself in. I cannot recommend this book enough! Tony Robbins has brilliantly explained how to motivate yourself even through the darkest phases in life.

You need to have control of yourself before you can work on establishing a higher Personal Intelligence.

3. Lorenzo

Lorenzo New Member

If you are having trouble making friends or ‘fitting in’, especially in a new environment, I would suggest reading How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

It really isn’t much of a thinker as to what this book has to offer—it’s all right there in its name. It’s been doing the rounds for almost 8 decades now and is still just as applicable today, as it was when it was first released. If you are looking to grasp the art of socializing and being an active contributor in all conversations you partake, this is the book for you.

Dale very efficiently shows you how any task can be made achievable, any situation you are in can be turned in your favor.

4. ELLIS

ELLIS New Member

I would definitely suggest reading the book The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

It may not be an encyclopedia of knowledge as such, but it definitely parts some valuable information. It is the search for the most fundamental “unit of heredity”. The search for the code takes you across Darwin’s theory and through the dreadful Nazi eugenics, all the while transforming. I can guarantee you that anyone giving this book a whirl, will come out more enlightened than they were, going in.

5. mable

mable New Member

Has anyone read “The obstacle is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph” by Ryan Holiday? I only ask because It has been Getting a lot of hype in the public eye of late, especially since it was made known that numerous celebrities, the likes of LL Cool J, Arnold, Schwarzenegger and James McGee.

So what exactly is so great about this book?

It explains the Stoic Philosophy at length. There is not a human being on this planet who will not relate to what is being mentioned in this book. I used to struggle with my sudden and often over-the-top reactions to every situation. I would also find it hard to pick myself up after something remotely inconvenient were to occur in life. But this book changed me.

I always thought I was a prisoner to my reactions but this book taught me my reactions depended on how I saw each hurdle in front of me and how I dealt with situations. It was a true eye-opener. When you read such an enlightening book, your mind transforms. Then, when you decide to take action and make those very changes in your life, that’s where the real magic begins.

It is not long before you notice how you are a lot less burdened by things around you. It makes your mind so much healthier, and by default, you are able to grasp so much more than you used to. Please give this book a go, if you want to develop.

6. candy

candy New Member

For a boost in your general intelligence, in my opinion, Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker is the way to go. While I have read many of his books, and love his work, this book by far, is his best work ever. His take on enlightenment and how one is never completely enlightened, and how humanity, in itself will always be on the quest for enlightenment gives an optimistic and certainly thought-provoking conclusion.

He explains how numerous current affairs- be it on the political or social front, can be viewed with optimism. He subsequently contexts the past with the present, thereby allowing us to realize these paths have already been traveled. He uses statistical data to back him up on his studies on great success that has come from a mere optimistic approach. It leaves you feeling hopeful about the state we are at, individually or as humankind as a whole, as we travel to these murky and confusing times.

No denying this book is pretty dense and long, but it is absolutely worth the read because you will be left with a profound feeling of faith in the future. Once you read a para, you will definitely find yourself sitting and reanalyzing many of your own life decisions. Also, Bill Gates said it was his favorite book. If the richest man in the world says the book is his favorite, there has to be something in it worth knowing, right?

7. Bianca

Bianca New Member

The book ‘A Universe from Nothing: Why there is Something rather than Nothing’ by Lawrence A Krauss was given to me because I am an inquisitive person in general. I started reading it, ready to fall asleep at any moment but was shocked to find myself staying up to read more.

Krauss is a well-established scientist and thereby, I was expecting a highly scientific book that was heavy on equations and other scientific know-how. Instead, I was reading all about the physics of quantum mechanics, relativity and cosmology and understanding it too! He has done a marvelous job in finding the balance between too technical (causing readers like me to lose interest) and too dumbed down (causing no one to really benefit from it, honestly).

I came out feeling well accomplished and I can certainly keep a conversation in certain elite areas of Physics without breaking a sweat now.