Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Books

Discussion in 'Non Fiction Self Help Book Readers Forum' started by Isaac, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Isaac

Isaac New Member

So I am a medical student, currently near my practicum. I have been looking for a topic to start focusing my self-study on for a while, but I could not decide on a specific field to focus on.

I landed on cognitive behavior therapy since a lot of my professors seemed to be fascinated by this very topic. First of all, I am glad I chose this topic since I do find it very interesting. I believe that one of the main factors that made me like this topic was the reference book I chose. I used Cognitive Behaviour Therapy: Basics and Beyond (2nd Edition) written by Judith S. Beck, and I must say that this book is very well written.

Not only is it extremely informative, but it also has a wealth of useful information on CBT that will help me understand the topic well, which will help me improve my practice in the future! What have you guys read?

2. Morris

Morris New Member

If you are looking for a good book on CBT, I would recommend that you read Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders written by Aaron T. Beck, who is considered to be the founder of CBT. I understand that medical books can become a little boring over time, but this book is very well written and tends to keep its readers engaged for the most part.

I like this book mainly because it contains most of the basic principles while updating the information that needed to be changed. Even after all these years, the best part is that the information in this book is not outdated, and remains relevant to this day! If you are looking to learn more about CBT, this would be one of the best books to help you achieve that task.

3. Clifton

Clifton New Member

I am sure that there may be several books at there that are very informative from a medical student’s point of view, but as a normal person trying to learn more about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, I really liked Feeling Good: The Mood Therapy written by David D. Burns.

It is amazing how this book works, and I say that because it worked for me, as well as several other people who I have gotten the opportunity to talk to after reading it. If you are suffering from conditions such as depression, the content in this book will help you take a look at yourself, and analyze how you are negatively contributing to the condition you are suffering from. Basically, it helps you to assess your own problems, and take control of it instead of having to rely on other means such as medication.

The information in it is pretty precise, and will definitely provide its readers with all the tools they will need to overcome whatever mental difficulties they need to overcome.

4. Willard

Willard New Member

When it comes to books on CBT, I would always suggest that you read books written by the father of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Aaron T. Beck. I have read many books on this very topic, and I must say that nobody’s books can compare to Beck’s books. You could always take a look at the book mentioned earlier in this post since it is very informative and will help you understand CBT better.

If you are a professional, I would recommend that you take a look at his book, Cognitive Therapy of Depression. This book is a little more technical, and may not be suitable for a casual reader only looking for basic knowledge. This book is more suitable for professionals who are trying to get more in-depth information on CBT. If you are just a normal person trying to learn more about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, I would recommend that you read the David D. Burns book, Feeling Good… mentioned earlier in this article.

5. Daryl

Daryl New Member

I agree that Aaron Beck has written some of the best books on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, and other topics related to it.

Another book related to CBT written by Beck is related to Anxiety, titled Anxiety Disorders and Phobias: A Cognitive Perspective. Just like all the other books he has written, this book is also very thoroughly written. It contains a lot of useful information that people will find helpful, especially if they personally struggle with anxiety issues. One of my friends who suffers from anxiety attacks once in a while told me that there was a lot of information that he was able to use the information given in it to help solve his issues.

The best part about this book is that Beck goes into great detail to help the readers understand all the factors that trigger the feeling of anxiety, and how you can control these triggers individually, in order to get a better hold of your issues, and not feel bad about your anxiety.

6. Ross

Ross New Member

I have read Anxiety Disorders…, and I found it to be very informative. The only problem with this book is that it may not be suitable for an average reader. It is more suited for professionals or students who are specializing in this specific topic. Before you get into it, I must tell you that it may take a while to get to most of the information that you be looking for.

Most of the information that the average reader would be interested in reading basically starts from the second half of the book but is not really independent of the information prior to that. So, it is not like you will be able to skip past the first part and start from the second half either. This book is more suitable for people who are a little more patient. Nevertheless, as I mentioned earlier, this book is very informative, and is worth the read.