Dizziness while Reading

Discussion in 'Non Fiction Self Help Book Readers Forum' started by Latest Marble, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Latest Marble

Latest Marble New Member

Hi all! Has this ever happened to you: while reading from a computer screen, you feel extremely giddy? This happens to me quite often and I’m wondering if I should have it checked out: could it be a serious medical condition?

2. Leostereo

Leostereo New Member

OMG @Latest Marble, I have the exact same issue. In fact, I’ve been suffering from this issue for years now, and it was bugging me a lot too, so I got it consulted. Apparently, it’s vertigo (a toned down version of it) and sadly there’s no prognosis for the same.

3. Bun Bun

Bun Bun New Member

Hi guys. I think you’ll be interested to know that this condition is more common than one would think! I too have migraine-associated vertigo and that doesn’t necessarily occur with headaches. Sometimes I’ll feel extremely giddy and assume it’s because I’m sleep deprived or something.

But the dizziness is actually a lot worse after a nice, long nap and I figured it had to do with my low blood pressure. Apparently not. However, I’ve noticed that for me at least, once I’ve drunk a few cups of water, I feel better. The giddiness still sticks around for a bit, but I am not sure that there’s anything you can take for this (and even if I’d recommend something, I’m not a doctor, so don’t listen to me).

4. t oxickisses

t oxickisses New Member

Wow, I can’t tell you how happy I am to hear that so many others go through the same anxiety as I do!

To be honest I never really noticed how dizzy I felt at work while staring at my computer screen until a few days ago when the vision started to black out! That’s when I knew something was wrong, and I got up and went for a nice walk. When I returned, the dizziness returned when I turned back my computer screen but didn’t really read much into it. I didn’t know it was a condition you could develop (that’s kind of frightening, to be honest).

I will have this checked out by my physician and post his response ASAP.

5. Tango Tree

Tango Tree New Member

This was a really interesting topic for me, and I spent weeks researching this. It’s true that there’s no one specific cause to have a migraine related vertigo, but some doctors do believe that it has to do with misfires between nerve cells.

6. sweet

sweet New Member

@Leostereo is right in that there’s no diagnosis for this condition. I don’t know if it’s very common (to be honest, I haven’t heard about this ever before) but I too suffer from the same condition! When I went to my doc, he told me sadly enough, they weren’t even sure what exactly causes this type of vertigo.

For me, the medical term is “vestibular migraine vertigo”. Apparently “vestibular” refers to the inner ear, so this condition does not involve only dizziness, but also balance problems, constant nausea, motion sensitivity (feeling sick even when you so much as move your head around), feeling disoriented for the majority of time, confusion, feeling unsteady and sensitivity to sound.

To be honest, this is a pretty sad condition to suffer from mostly because doctors are still trying to figure out the main cause. Of course, there are temporary medicines you can take for vertigo to bring down the nausea, dizziness, but other than that, no permanent solution.

7. ayee erbear

ayee erbear New Member

I have had migraine attacks ever since I was 6, and my parents were really freaked out about it. Got 3 MRI scans and all of them showed there was no abnormality with me (even though I had horrific migraine attacks almost every other day).

They did subside with time as I grew older, but during my teen years, they returned with double the intensity. That’s when I first started using computers too, and I think the dizziness associated with looking (and in my case, staring) at the screen for long intervals was different from what I felt during my migraines.

This was weird for me, so I did some research and found that weirdly enough, this vertigo is more likely to show up when you’re not having a headache. Weird, right? Anyway, the best thing you could do is probably reduce the time you stare at your screen and take a lot of breaks in between. I also find that cracking open a window (as opposed to sitting in an air-conditioned room all the time) and drinking water helps with the dizziness.

Since it’s a very mild version of vertigo, my doc recommended that I don’t take medicine for this (since it happens every day too).

8. THE CATFACE

THE CATFACE New Member

Hi, this might be weird but I have found that TFT screens make me dizzier as opposed to LCD screens. Does this make sense to anybody? Also @ayee erbear, while most of what you said made sense to me, how is one supposed to reduce the time spent in front of a screen? Especially since most of us spend most of our time at work, staring at our computer screens!

That said, I did take your suggestion of sitting by an open window, and I did find that my head was less light-headed.

9. Absolutely Shine

Absolutely Shine New Member

YES, @THE CATFACE, I thought it was just me being paranoid, but actually, the dizziness was a lot more when I used a TFT screen. I didn’t change it on purpose or anything but now that I use LCD I have found the giddiness level has come down by a lot.

That is probably something everyone should try doing (worth a shot, right?) Also, since no one has talked about it, you might want to get your eyes checked. It might also be a possibility that your prescription has changed!

Even though that does not explain the giddiness, it could be a reason why your vision is blurred. Just a suggestion!